Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is the sequel to the first game. It features 23 zones, 54 levels, 13 special stages and four playable characters. The game also includes new features such as springs, more boss fights, new monitors, cutscenes, music (though you have to play the music first), among other things, too.
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 revolves around Sonic’s best friend, Tails, being captured by the infamous Dr. Robotnik. Sonic must save Tails by collecting all seven of the Time Stones and putting an end to Robotnik’s evil schemes.
To collect Time Stones, you must travel to (and complete) seven special stages. Each special stage you complete awards you one Time Stone. You also may collect Chaos Emeralds from the last six special stages, though all they do is unlock bonus content.
One of the major new features added in Sonic 2 is saving. You can create and delete up to three save files. If you unlock a character on one save file, that character becomes available for all save files.
On your journey, you may come across a cutscene. You’ll have to press the button at the front of the room to start the cutscene first, but other than that, it’s automatic. If you don’t want to watch the cutscene, you have the option to skip it.
It took three months to make Sonic 2. At most, I had two people helping with the project.
The following photos are sorted in a chronological order.
The title screen, before version 1.1.
The character select screen.
Chemical Plant Zone Act 1.
Special Zone Act 2.
Frostburn Cave Zone Act 2.
The end of Scrapyard Bash Zone Act 3, before version 1.1.
Death Egg Zone.
- Added a demo of the cancelled Sonic the Hedgehog 3, along with its resource pack.
- Changed the installation description to accommodate for the addition of Sonic 3.
- Added a new zone in between Greenyellow Hillside Zone and Chemical Plant Zone: Marble Zone.
- Updated the resource pack.
- Hidden Palace Zone and Egg Endeavor Zone now have level select icons.
- Replaced the Lava Reef Zone music with the Marble Zone theme.
- Fixed Mulitplayer Versus Mode so that everyone teleports when one person finishes a Zone.
- Due to playtesters being too fast for me to keep up with them, some monitors may be missing or slightly moved. For the same reason, the ring placements in Special Zone Act 8 have been changed, too.
- Added a new "Multiplayer Versus Mode" to the game, where players choose one of four zones (Greenyellow Hillside Zone, Chemical Plant Zone, Frostburn Cave Zone, or Launch Base Zone), then race each other to the finish.
- Added a new Zone in between Scrapyard Bash and Death Egg: Egg Endeavor Zone.
- Changed Sonic's text in Scrapyard Bash Zone Act 3 from "Last Zone?" to "Next Zone?" due to the presence of Egg Endeavor.
- Changed the "PLAY" button on the title screen to say "1-PLAYER MODE" to distinguish it and Multiplayer Versus Mode.
- Changed the boss music to a different theme.
- Removed two pits from throughout Frostburn Cave Zone.
- Players should no longer start the game in Creative mode.
- Slightly updated the level design of Frostburn Cave Zone Act 1.
- Added a ring monitor to Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2.
- Added a new Zone to the 3D Sonic World Demo: Gimmick Mountain Zone, an old mountain that Dr. Robotnik has recently started some rather shady construction in.
The resource pack downloads are optional. The world downloads have their respective resource packs pre-installed, so the separate resource packs can be used for your own worlds.